Using a tongue cleaner helps you to get rid of bacteria from your tongue. If you do not get rid of this bacteria it can cause bad breath and can lead to oral health problems. Tongue cleaning should always be done in addition to cleaning your teeth, not instead of.
You should use a good quality tongue cleaner for the tongue cleaning process. Simply use the cleaner as part of your normal dental hygiene routine. Let's take a look at the benefits of cleaning your tongue in more detail.
Why using a tongue cleaner is a good idea
You may not realize it but your tongue is often covered in bacteria and debris which build up. As we mentioned at the start, if you do not make sure that your tongue is kept clean you can end up with oral health issues and bad smelling breath.
With this in mind, there are several reasons why using a tongue cleaner is a good idea.
- Keeping your tongue clean has been shown to improve your sense of taste. This is obviously important when it comes to enjoying the food that you eat.
- A tongue that is covered in debris can seem as though it has a white surface. Using a tongue cleaner improves the color of your tongue.
- The bacteria which can build up on your tongue does not just cause bad breath. It can also lead to dental decay. Making sure that your tongue is clean helps to prevent this from happening.
All of these benefits are best obtained by using a tongue cleaner. Although you can clean your tongue with a toothbrush, the results are not as good as they are if you use a tongue cleaner.
How to use a tongue cleaner
There are several different types of tongue cleaners on the market, made from different materials. The tongue cleaners from Wowe Lifestyle are made from stainless steel. This means that they are long lasting and eco-friendly.
Whichever type of tongue cleaner you choose, there are certain steps that you need to follow when cleaning your tongue
- Stand in front of the bathroom mirror and stick your tongue out.
- Place the rounded end of the tongue scraper that you are using at the back of your tongue. If you have problems doing this, because of your gag reflex, you can start in the middle of your tongue to begin with. You can then move to the back once you get used to having the cleaner in your mouth.
- Gently move the tongue cleaner from the back of your tongue to the very tip and keep it lightly touching your tongue. Never use tongue cleaner in the reverse direction i.e. pushing it back rather than moving it forward.
- Every time you reach the tip of your tongue remove any debris from the cleaner.
- This process simply needs to be continued until the entire surface of your tongue has been cleaned. It's normally enough to cover each area of the surface a couple of times.
Once you finish cleaning your tongue you need to make sure that the tongue cleaner is rinsed and dried effectively. It only takes a couple of minutes to clean your tongue in this way and you can complete the process as often as you like throughout the day. Most people choose to clean their tongue at the same time as they clean their teeth in the morning and the evening.
Other oral hygiene features to accompany tongue cleaning
You get the most benefit from using the tongue cleaner if you combine your tongue cleaning with other important features of a healthy oral hygiene routine. These features include
- Brushing your teeth and gums in the morning and the evening.
- Spending 2 minutes brushing on each occasion. You can count the 2 minutes in your head or set a timer if you want to be accurate.
- Floss your teeth at least once a day. WowE Lifestyle produces eco-friendly dental floss that you can use for this purpose.
- Drink plenty of water to stop your mouth from becoming dry.
- Keep up to date with visits to your dentist. Doing this means that any issues can be spotted and dealt with. It also means that the hygienist can give your mouth and teeth a thorough clean.
Together with tongue cleaning, these factors all help to keep your mouth, tongue, gums and teeth healthy.
You can clearly see that you can get several benefits from using a tongue cleaner each day. Take a look at the eco-friendly tongue cleaners from Wowe Lifestyle. These tongue cleaners are easy to use, long lasting and come in eco-friendly packaging.