Everyone loves the feeling of a smooth, close shave, which is why 163 million disposable razors were used by consumers in the U.S. in 2018. Since disposable razors live up to their name, it is safe to assume nearly 163 million disposable razors were also disposed of. With another 163 million on their way to the landfill, now is the perfect moment to discover eco-friendly alternatives to disposable razors. Who knows, you might even discover a better shave!
Drugstore and Disposable Razors: The Good and the Bad
Even though disposable razors are bad for the environment, they are good for some things! Here are some of the benefits of using a disposable razor.
- Convenience:You can purchase a disposable razor at practically any drugstore, convenience store, or gas station. Need to shave to wear your favorite sleeveless shirt but your old razor got dull? No problem, run down the street and buy a disposable razor.
- Budget: Drugstore razors cost between $0.50 and $8 each.
Everyone who shaves has experienced the gut-wrenching moment of being late for a party, needing to shave, and not having that essential tool: the razor. Even though disposable razors are convenient to find, they aren’t necessarily so convenient for everyday life and come with a laundry list of additional negatives.
- Convenience:Convenience is not only one of the drugstore razor’s few good attributes, but also an important negative one. Disposable razors being convenient is one of the reasons for their massive presence in landfills.
- Budget: At first glance, spending only a couple of dollars on a razor can feel like a bargain, but when you look at the bigger picture they are not such a great bargain after all. Disposable razors cost customers $111 per year on average. Drugstore razors advertised as being reusable that can be purchased with disposable cartridges will also cost you; razor cartridges cost consumers around $98 per year on average.
- Short-Lived: The lifespan of a disposable razor is not long. On average, disposable razors last only 3 to 10 shaves. If you are shaving your legs for the first time in a while, that razor may wind up being single-use.
- Irritation:Since disposable razors only last for a few shaves, it is super easy to wind up irritating even the least sensitive skin. Dull razors and low-quality blades can cause razor burn and will make the area you are shaving more prone to ingrown hairs.
- Environmental Impact: Disposable razors and their cartridges are typically made of non-recyclable materials and must be disposed of with other non-recyclable waste. With millions of plastic disposable razors and their cartridges being disposed of every year, disposable razors are one of the most common items found in landfills.
Plastic has quickly become one of the biggest threats to environmental health and the health of our oceans. Nearly 13 million tons of plastic is dumped into the ocean every year, and according to Green Peace, 9 in 10 seabirds, 1 in 3 sea turtles, and 50% of all dolphin and whale species have eaten plastic at least once. Though we consume a massive amount of plastic products, few consider where they will end up when we are done using them. Here are some more facts about plastic and plastic pollution:
- Kenya, China, France, Rwanda, and Italy are among the countries that have banned or partially banned single-use plastic bags
- Plastic products make up 73% of beach waste
- More than 1.1 million animals die every year from plastic pollution related causes
- Plastic pollution has doubled over the last 50 years
- 50% of plastic products are single-use
- BPA, a chemical in plastic, can be and is absorbed by the human body; 93% of American children test positive for BPA
A Better Shave is Better for the Planet
Considering the negative environmental impact of disposable razors, you may be wondering how you can achieve that smooth sensation without putting more plastic in our landfills. The solution is an Eco-Friendly Double Edge Safety Razor with Natural Bamboo Handle from Wowe. This amazing shaving tool from Wowe is the perfect solution to all your shaving and environmental woes; lightweight, reusable, and made from recyclable and biodegradable materials, this razor will make you forget all about those little pink plastic ones.
The Eco-Friendly Safety Razor from Wowe is more than just an eco-friendly alternative, it’s an excellent razor. Here are the benefits of using a reusable eco-friendly razor:
- Convenience: Though you may not be able to pick up this beautiful razor at the drug store, once you have made your purchase once you will never be without a great razor ever again. The sturdy bamboo handle and stainless steel head can last for years without showing signs of aging, and the recyclable razor blade replacements mean you are never left with a dull razor.
- Budget: Disposable razors cost consumers a small fortune each and every year. The Wowe Eco-Friendly Double Edge Safety Razor can be yours for less than $25, and the replacement razor blades will run you only $15. Since each razor blade can be used 3-5 times, $15 worth of blades can easily last you a full year or longer. The best part is, you never need to repurchase the razor itself, just the blades!
- Longevity: You may have already figured it out, but one of the biggest benefits of reusable eco-friendly products is that they can last forever. If you take proper care of your Eco-Friendly Double Edge Safety Razor from Wowe, this beautiful piece will be giving you an incredibly close shave for years to come.
- Skin:Shaving with a disposable razor might get you a close shave now and then, but most disposable razors are low quality and cause skin irritation and ingrown hairs. The Wowe Eco-Friendly Double Edge Safety Razor is perfectly crafted to give you the best shave every time. With easy to replace blades, even if your razor blade goes dull you can quickly replace it with a sharp one. Your skin will thank you for choosing a sharper, better razor.
- Environmental Impact:Unlike disposable razors, the Wowe Eco-Friendly Razor does not negatively impact the planet. Plastic disposable razors contribute a massive amount of plastic and toxic chemicals to global pollution rates, but this reusable razor does not. The razor is made from entirely recycled materials that are either biodegradable or re-recyclable. The best part? Rather than needing to throw away your razor blades once they go dull, the Stainless Steel Double Edge Safety Razor Blades from Wowe are recyclable metal, so you never have to feel guilty when you replace a blade.
Replace Plastic Products
Besides disposable razors, a large number of household products are made from plastic. Toothbrushes, water bottles, and produce bags are major contributors to global plastic pollution. For individuals interested in finding eco-friendly or recyclable alternatives to their everyday plastic household supplies, there are some awesome options. Here are a few of the products you can buy to replace your plastic ones:
Toothbrushes are yet another common plastic culprit often found in landfills and oceans. Traditional plastic toothbrushes are made from hard, non-recyclable plastic and nylon, and can take hundreds of years to decompose. Toothbrushes are a necessary item for everyday life, so it is no surprise that 1 billion toothbrushes are disposed of every year.
As an eco-friendly alternative to plastic toothbrushes, Wowe has created our Eco-Friendly and Natural Bamboo Toothbrush. Made from biodegradable bamboo, these toothbrushes are water and splinter resistant and are just as durable (if not more so) than their traditional plastic counterparts. Not only are these Natural Bamboo Toothbrushes biodegradable, but they can also be repurposed once it is time to switch to a new brush.
Produce bags are one of the most commonly disposed of plastic items. Single-use and completely non-recyclable, these pesky plastic bags pose a serious threat to wildlife. Birds, turtles, other sea creatures, and city-dwelling animals commonly ingest, choke, or become stuck in plastic bags.
Wowe has several plastic produce bag alternatives: The Reusable Organic Cotton Mesh Produce Bags and the Reusable Organic Cotton Muslin Produce Bags. These reusable, washable, all-natural alternatives to single-use plastic bags are easy to slip in your bag or pocket before you go to the grocery store.