Ah, the feeling of Fall is in the air! The leaves are starting to change, the air is getting crisp, your nose is getting those first hints of frosty winds, and it’s time for things to get a little cozier. For some of us, getting cozy means sipping hot drinks by the fire, but for others, Fall doesn’t mean they are ready to give up sipping their favorite cold, refreshing beverages.
At Wowe Lifestyle, we focus on bringing you high-quality eco-friendly products that make your life a little easier, and this week, we want to focus on one of those: Our eco-friendly stainless steel straws. One of our most popular items, these awesome stainless steel straws are the perfect eco-friendly solution to those single-use plastic straws you find in most coffee shops, restaurants, fast-food chains, and beyond. In the spirit of Fall and getting cozy, we want to share some amazing recipes for delicious cold Fall drinks that you can sip through your very own Wowe stainless steel straw.
Why You Need a Stainless Steel Straw
If you love cold drinks, you probably love drinking out of a straw, and we don’t blame you! Drinking from a straw is fun, often more comfortable, and can help you keep beverages from staining your teeth or giving you a milk-mustache. Besides being a more fun way to consume your favorite refreshment, straws are also a staple in the lives of many elderly and disabled individuals, since straws make drinking independently easier for people with limited mobility.
Though straws are a fun and useful tool, single-use disposable plastic straws have been surrounded by controversy for several years due to their environmental impact. Small, lightweight, and non-recyclable, the majority of single-use plastic straws find their way to oceans, rivers, and other natural ecosystems where they wreak havoc on the wildlife and environment.
According to the World Wildlife Fund, plastic products have been found in an estimated 90% of seabirds and all sea turtle species. Marine creatures easily mistake small plastic products (like straws) for food, frequently eating plastic pieces floating in the ocean. With plastic pollution not projected to slow down, the next decade could see as much as a pound of plastic per three pounds of fish in our oceans.
You may be asking yourself: “Isn’t plastic recyclable?” While many plastic products are recyclable, plastic straws are not one of them. Straws are too light-weight to be processed in traditional recycling facilities, and straws frequently fall through machines and sorting systems, contaminating other batches and making them unusable. Because of this, the majority of plastic straws are simply thrown away, littered, or left on the beach, creating the perfect scenario for them to be blown into gutters, waterways, rivers, and the ocean.
(Pssst! Check out this super handy article on what items are or are not recyclable and beef up your knowledge of recycling!)
Now that you understand what all the commotion is surrounding plastic straws, you probably understand why you might need a stainless steel one! Stainless steel is super durable and long-lasting, easy to clean, and has a delightfully cold feel when you add one to your favorite iced beverage. By choosing a stainless steel straw, you not only avoid adding to global plastic pollution, but also ensure you will always have your favorite drinking implement close at hand!
At Wowe Lifestyle, we offer three packs of stainless steel straws, guaranteed to last for years with proper care and maintenance. Choose between a curved stainless steel straw, straight stainless steel straws, or travel straws complete with a bamboo travel case and cotton straw cleaner! Made with FDA approved stainless steel that never tarnishes, rusts, or wears, your straws could last you a lifetime of delicious drinks and happy plastic-free memories.
Refreshing Drinks for Fall Days
Although Fall and Winter are prime-time for hot drinks, plenty of people prefer to settle down with a refreshing iced beverage, and with tons of amazing Fall ingredients and flavors coming our way, we wanted to share some of our favorite cold Fall drink recipes! Here are 10 delicious, autumnal, chilly drinks for you to sip by the fire this Fall:
1. Rosemary Citrus Spritzer
Though you might think of citrus and spritzers as a Summer thing, citrus fruits continue to be delicious year-round, and can easily transition to Fall with a few sprigs of deeply flavored herbs. This drink is super refreshing with a pungent kick of herbaceousness that will remind you of a more sophisticated spiced cider. This delicious Rosemary Citrus Spritzer comes to us from The Kitchen.
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
¾ c. sugar
¼ c. honey
Rosemary and lemon for garnish
- Peel 1 lemon
- Juice lemons and oranges
- Combine zest, juice, rosemary, sugar, and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat and rest for 10 minutes before straining.
- Serve 2-3 tablespoons over ice, fill the rest with soda water.
2. Blackberry and Sage Spritzer
Like the citrus one above, this spritzer combines refreshing fruit with pungent herbs to create a refreshing Autumn drink. Classically used in many Thanksgiving recipes, sage adds a woodsy quality to these spritzers, helping to balance the tartness of the blackberries. This super refreshing Blackberry and Sage Spritzer comes to us from The Kitchn.
½ c. honey
½ c. water
4 fresh sage leaves
1 lb. fresh blackberries
Sage and blackberries for garnish
- Combine hone and water in a saucepan over medium heat, remove from heat just before boiling.
- Add sage leaves and blackberries to the mixture, stir. Allow the mixture to cool stirring occasionally until the berries have broken down a bit.
- Blend the mixture on high until uniform in texture and color, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve to remove seeds.
- Serve 2 tablespoons over ice, top with sparkling water and garnish.
3. Pumpkin Smoothie
Not a fan of the notorious PSL but still craving your pumpkin beverage fix? This delicious (and healthy) pumpkin smoothie recipe is the ultimate pumpkin-bomb, guaranteed to make your pumpkin dreams come true and satisfy all of your pumpkiny cravings. This delicious and decadent Pumpkin Smoothie Recipe comes to us from Allrecipes.
1 (16 oz) can of pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
2 c. milk
¼ c. brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Transfer pumpkin puree to a freezer bag and store in the freezer for at least 24 hours.
- Heat the bag of pumpkin puree in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve with optional whipped cream and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.
4. Apple Cider Autumn Sangria
You might associate this spiced wine-filled beverage with Summertime parties, but everyone’s favorite wine-based cocktail can just as easily be made Autumnal. Apple season is upon us, which means it’s time to take advantage of delicious apple cider. Throwing a festive Fall get together? Sangria is the perfect make-ahead drink to serve to your guests! This spicy, boozy, fruity Apple Cider Autumn Sangria recipe comes to us from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
2 cinnamon sticks
2 apples, thinly sliced
1 pear, thinly sliced
1 orange, thinly sliced
⅔ c. pomegranate seeds
1 bottle of your favorite white wine (Pinot Grigio works well!)
2 c. apple cider
½ c. brandy
¼ c. orange juice
2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher, then allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, up to 24.
- To serve, pour the mixture into tall glasses, add a splash of club soda, and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
5. Easy Fall Party Punch
Like the sangria, this recipe is perfect for entertaining! This recipe is super simple, fast to make, and perfect for both kids and adults! Bursting with delicious apple, pineapple, and ginger, this autumnal drink is somehow cozy and tropical at the same time. This simple Fall Party Punch recipe comes to us from Miss in the Kitchen.
3 c. apple cider
3 c. pineapple juice
3 c. ginger ale
Apple to garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or pitcher, stir well. The pineapple juice may settle, so stirring before serving is recommended.
- Serve chilled with optional ice and garnish with apple slices.
6. Apple Pie Drink
Nothing says fall quite like pie, but if you don’t want to spend hours slaving away over a hot stove, this simple refreshing beverage can give you the fix you are craving! Delicious with alcohol or without, you can make this recipe boozy or plain for guests of all ages. This festive Apple Pie Drink recipe comes to us from The Cookie Rookie.
1 apple, sliced
1-quart apple cider
2 c. pear nectar
24 oz. ginger ale
Optional apple pie or caramel vodka
- Combine apple cider, pear nectar, and ginger ale, stir well. Add apples
- Pour over ice and garnish with an apple to serve.
- (Optional) For an adult version, add one shot of apple pie or caramel vodka to each drink
7. Cranberry Orange Mimosas
Cranberries are an iconic autumn berry, puckeringly tart and so delicious when combined with a light sweetness. These Fall-themed boozy mimosas make the perfect addition to breakfast or brunch and will have all your guests oohing and ahhing. This cold-weather Cranberry Orange Mimosa recipe comes to us from Taste of Home.
2 c. fresh or frozen cranberries
3 c. orange juice
2 tbsp. Lemon juice
3 bottles champagne, chilled
Fresh mint leaves
- Combine cranberries and 1 c. orange juice in a blender, blend until pureed and uniform. Add the remaining orange juice and lemon juice, blend again until combined.
- To serve, pour ⅓ c. cranberry mixture into a glass, top with champagne, garnish with mint if desired.
8. Holiday Wassail Punch
This non-alcoholic punch hits you with a serious kick of Autumn flavor, featuring tons of delicious fruit juices, Fall spices, and festive flavors. Perfect made ahead for a party, this punch is amazing warm or cold, but we recommend it cold over a glass of ice! This Holiday Wassail Punch recipe comes to us from Taste of Home.
4 c. apple juice
4 c. orange juice
2 c. cranberry juice
1 (12oz) can pineapple nectar
½ c. sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
4 cinnamon sticks
8 whole allspice
10 orange slices
Apple slices and cranberries for garnish
- Combine apple juice, orange juice, cranberry juice, pineapple nectar, sugar, and lemon juice in a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Place cinnamon sticks, allspice, and orange slices in a cheesecloth and tie tightly, add to slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, on low for 4-5 hours.
- Discard spice and orange bag.
- Serve warm or chilled over ice, garnish with apple slices and cranberries if desired.
9. Caramel Apple Float
Ready for a refreshing fall drink your kids are certain to enjoy? This amazing Caramel Apple Float is sweet, refreshing, and oh so reminiscent of everyone’s favorite fall treat. Break this recipe out for sleepovers, movie nights, or birthday parties and you are sure to be the talk of the town! This kid-friendly Caramel Apple Float recipe comes to us from Taste of Home.
1 c. apple cider
1 c. ginger ale or lemon-lime soda
1 c. vanilla ice cream
2 tbsp. caramel sauce
Finely chopped apple for garnish
- Combine cider and ginger ale, then divide between two glasses.
- Top glass with a scoop of ice cream.
- Drizzle with caramel syrup and diced apples to garnish.
10. Creamy Caramel Mocha
Do you love those super decadent coffee-house specialty drinks but don’t love the amount of waste that comes with going to a coffee shop? Avoid single-use cups and straws and make your own caffeinated treat at home, perfect for chilly fall mornings when you need a pick-me-up. This rich Creamy Caramel Mocha recipe comes to us from Taste of Home.
½ c. heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
¼ c. cocoa
1 ½ c. half-and-half
4 c. hot strong coffee
½ c, caramel syrup
Butterscotch/caramel ice cream topping
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add powdered sugar and ½ tsp. Vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk cocoa and half-and-half until smooth, heat until bubbles form around sides of pan.
- Add coffee, caramel syrup, and remaining vanilla. Chill.
- Serve over ice or plain topped with whipped cream and butterscotch topping.
Are you loving Wowe Lifestyle stainless steel straws? Want to discover more products that make living eco-friendly easy and affordable? Check out the Wowe Lifestyle website or visit our blog Better Living to discover more tips and tricks for living eco-friendly.